Saturday 18 July 2015

REVIEW: Spy (15)

Paul Feig returns with his written, directed, etc the latest spoof spy movie with the name of… Spy! Melissa McCarthy stars as Susan Cooper, a desk dweller in the CIA who is logistical support for suave secret agent Fine (Jude Law). When he goes missing in action, it’s up to Susan to avenge him and go and track down the evil mastermind behind the trading of nuclear weapons.
That’s basically the premise – maybe a little clichéd but you know, it’s not that bad. McCarthy shines as the almost bumbling inept spy – but has moments of brilliance and sass that take this film in a different direction you would expect. But it’s the supporting cast that help out as much as McCarthy’s performance. Jason Statham is simply fabulous as a parody of himself with lines like – “I landed a car, on a moving train, when I was on fire. I was on fire, not the car...” and another classic line – “I had my left arm ripped off and I put it back on with my right arm,” to which a disbelieving Susan Cooper says – “I’m not sure that’s medically possible!” Other stars in close support include British TV’s Miranda Hart (basically playing herself even though she’s a character) and the suitably sinister Rose Byrne playing one of the bad guys.

I really enjoyed this one and although it’s not laugh-out-loud funny, some of the humor is either stupid and silly or clever and inspired. I watched this twice so it’s fun enough to watch again. I was really worried about the Ghostbuster’s remake as I found one of Feig’s previous efforts Bridesmaids (which also featured Melissa McCarthy) to be a bit lacklustre and desperately a shadow of the Hangover and no where near as good. However, I think Spy is superior to that movie and it’s given me a little bit of faith with the Ghostbusters reboot in 2016. 
POPSCORE – 7.5/10 
What am I talking about? Spy (movie)
Where can I find out more? http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/spy

Anything else?
Paul Feig has worked with Melissa McCarthy before in Bridesmaids and will be again in the forthcoming Ghostbusters reboot due in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment