Thursday 26 March 2015

REVISITED: 3D Printing Magazine

I've been blogging regularly now for about 6-8 weeks now and one of my first things to give you info on was a brand new magazine from Eaglemoss Publishing called 3D Create and Print - a part-work collection where you literally build your own 3D Printer.  We are now more than 11 issues in, and I promised I would revisit it and see where we are at.

For those of you new to my blog and, to the magazine, here's a recap about what I said originally:
Divided into sections, the magazine is broken into chapters about 3D printing history, tutorials on 3D design, 3D modelling and tips and tricks. They advise you on a recommended 3D modelling software (which is free to download) and there are a number of designs each issue for things you can build in the printer. These designs range from fancy balls and chess pieces to my personal favourite in issue one - a catapult! Each issue features a unique code to download the featured design as files and these are available for free as is the recommended 3D software to use in conjunction with the printer. Each issue includes bits of the printer to construct and of course instructions on how to put it all together.  On their official blog, they have a video of a "How To" put together the pieces from the first 20 issues - check it out here.

So far, I have been building the printer and it's been really easy to do and it's coming together nicely. The last few issues have been a bit strange as we got a few bits that we had to wait a few issues for before we put them all together. As a subscriber, I got them all at the same time so it was great to do a chunk at once. I've already received some of the subscriber bits including a funky memory stick in the shape of a key and the binder which is great for keeping everything together. As specified, 90 issues are planned so I'm literally 1/9th of the way through.  If you want to get involved along with me - then you can subscribe and get more information here.

3D printers are rather expensive still - but this is modern tech for you. People have asked me why I have been collecting this magazine when I could just go out and buy one for a little cheaper. My argument would be I could, but they add extra value by doing extra. So I've been collecting the magazine for 11 issues now (another four due soon) and each issue you get design downloads. Some of these are "BUILDUPS" and some are completed designs already. Eleven issues in and I have 44 separate items that I can use with this printer. Each magazine comes with a tutorial for other projects using the free software you can download. They also promise a further 10 exclusive designs for subscribers too - so if art and design ain't your thing, you'll still get use out of printer when it's done. BUILDUPS include a toy car, chess set, puzzles and other stuff. Meanwhile one off projects include soap dishes and egg cups, iphone protectors and more. On the official website you can register to download these designs and they have them under different headings like jewellery, homewares, arty pieces and much more. I'm impressed with the breadth of the different items that can be made; and, if you get good, could even alter them in the design software.

So, like I originally thought, I am still impressed and look forward to the next issues. I'll drop back into it in another ten or so issues and show some photos too. When the project is completed, I will do a video to show you it in action, and a full review too. Well done Eaglemoss, keep it up.

Have you bought this magazine? What do you think? Let me know below!
Until next time
Paul 
What I'm talking about:  3D Printer Magazine
Where do I go to find out more? http://www.3dprinter-collection.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment